Give Your Child The Skills Needed to Find Academic Success
Does your child struggle to keep up with school work and class projects? Do they need help getting organized? Does studying seem difficult for them? If so, it’s time to study smarter, not harder. Novella Prep takes a holistic approach to the way students study and we are able to transform our students’ study habits tremendously. Novella Prep has developed study skills tactics that optimize academic tutoring and standardized test preparation. By developing better study habits for our students, we are able to shift the way students learn and retain information, which can lead to a more efficient tutoring experience.
Tutoring With Novella Prep
When parents call or email seeking academic tutoring, we understand what you would like to see as an outcome: rebuilt confidence in a course, a student getting ahead, and a student ready for what’s next. Our programs are designed to work alone or in tandem with specific subject-based tutoring. We focus on building a strong foundation of core executive functioning, organization, and study skills to help students succeed holistically, across subjects. By really understanding the learning style of each individual student and helping them optimize their study habits, our 3 R method (Retention, Relationships, Responsibility) helps ensure we can achieve more with fewer lessons, profoundly improve grades, and generate lasting results.
Novella Prep motivates and teaches students from middle school to college on how to achieve academic success through study skills, college planning, and college persistence programs. We take a holistic approach to improving our students grades which result in higher test scores and adequate college planning and readiness.
Private Academic Tutoring
We offer private academic tutoring to support success in a variety of subjects, including but not limited to:
- Study Skills
Study Skills Private Tutoring
Study skills are the bedrock of success in academics for students of all achievement levels. Our study skills program teaches students how to read, listen, and study more effectively. Some of the ways study skills can help your child include:
- Improved Time Management
- Improved Study Habits
- Adapting to Online Learning
- Reduced Stress
- Preventing Burnout
Mathematics Private Tutoring
Many students struggle with mathematics, and it takes more than just natural ability to succeed in math, it takes practice and a positive attitude. Novella Prep can help your child create a comprehensive and effective tutoring plan to help them succeed in math. Some of the math subjects that our teachers are able to support your child in include:
- Intermediate Math
- Pre Algebra
- Algebra II
Our main focus is the success of your child, and for them to understand the executive functioning skills required for achievement in math. Our teachers will work at your child’s pace to ensure they are understanding the material and are able to keep up with the work during class times.
Science Private Tutoring
Our science private tutoring sessions will ensure your child receives individualized instruction on the study skills needed to achieve in all scientific topics. We understand that all students learn differently, which is why we come up with a plan specific to each student to help them succeed. Some of the science subjects our teachers support include:
- General Science
- Earth Science
Science can be a challenging topic for a lot of students, which is why our main goal is to help your child achieve better grades in science class, and overall become a stronger and more successful student.
Reading Private Tutoring
It’s common for students who struggle with reading to struggle with other subjects as well. With the help of Novella Prep’s teachers, students will feel confident in their ability to become a stronger, faster, and more comprehensive reader. We offer support for a variety of reading subjects in our study skills sessions. Below are some of the topics we can address for each age group:
- Intermediate Reading
- Sounding Out Words
- Vocabulary Building
- Reading Comprehension
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Word Meaning
- Foundational Skills
- Middle School Reading
- Building on Elementary Foundations
- Greater Range of Vocabulary Complexity
- High School Reading
- Extracting deeper meaning/symbolism/message
- Reading comprehension
- Standardized testing (ACT, SAT, Regents)
- College Reading
- Reading efficiently and thoroughly
- Handling a larger reading list
Writing Private Tutoring
Writing is one of the most critical skills in school, and plays a big part in the learning development of our students. Writing can be challenging for some students, but Novella Prep’s writing curriculum is designed to help students in grades 6-12 and college improve their writing skills.
- 6th – 12th Grade Writing Skills
- College Writing
- Thesis Paper & Long Form Writing
History Private Tutoring
Holistic history tutoring requires three main elements: understanding the student’s skill, determining what a student has been taught, and seeking out what a student needs to be taught. This observation ensures that academic instruction is relevant, leading toward improved grades, increased confidence, and lower stress.
Some of the topics we cover include:
- Regents Global History
- AP U.S. History
- Ancient History
- Modern History
- European History
Benefits Of Novella Prep Tutoring
Tutoring with Novella Prep will help your child:
- Improve grades
- Diagnose areas in need of improvement
- Identify patterns in learning
- Provide insight into better study habits
- Focus on individual growth and goals
- Incorporate study skills principles for increased efficiency
Test Prep 101
In order to achieve higher scores, it’s important to know which tests to take, when, and how to prepare for it. We integrate foundational test prep elements into our study skills and college planning programs, and can identify additional resources if needed. Our test prep programs include:
SAT Prep: We use easily accessible materials to help establish the fundamentals that lead to high performance on the SAT.
ACT Prep: We provide expert individual ACT test prep guidance based on the fundamentals that lead to high performance on the ACT.
Advanced Placement (AP): We provide instruction and advanced curriculum concepts to elevate your child’s score through our Advanced Placement tutoring.
PSAT Prep: We show students and families how to best utilize information gained from taking the PSAT10 or PSAT/NMSQT, an important test for SAT or ACT prep.
College Application Program
A strong college application reflects years of mindful planning and thousands of little decisions that, when better informed and guided, reflects the most authentic version of your student. Our online programming balances academic advising (which classes, how to get the best grades, what matters to colleges) with college planning (which tests, requirements for admission, visits, essay, financial aid, and the application). To get the best results, we have found that starting earlier allows for grade appropriate measures that build toward a well-organized and prepared high school senior. Upon completion of the college application process, we continue to provide support through students’ college experience, offering college-specific study skills and career advising.
- Novella 11: This program runs through the entire academic year of a student’s 11th grade until May 1. We focus on providing comprehensive college planning, assisting students as they plan visits, develop testing strategies, narrow their focus, and develop their portfolio.
- College Application Year: This program runs from May 1 of a student’s 11th grade through their college deposit submission. We assist students as they submit applications, conduct follow-up visits, manage decisions and possible waitlists, negotiate financial aid, and ensure all possible opportunities are identified and pursued
- Novella 12: This monthly program runs after January 1 of a student’s 12th grade year. We aim to provide students not enrolled in our CAY program with college-specific study skills advice and effectively prepare students for their transition to college.
- Novella College: Our hourly or monthly advising program runs for current college students. We focus on foundational elements to support college success toward improved grades and in some cases, readiness for transferring to another college. In addition, we aim to provide support in the areas of resume and cover letter review, internship and job search, and career path advisement.
We Offer Online Tutoring
Amidst the Coronavirus pandemic, we expanded our offering of online tutoring to promote social distancing during this time. Our fully online tutoring programs serve students from 6th-12th grade as well as college, and are adaptable for supporting success whether learning is in-person, online, or hybrid. No matter where schooling is delivered, we are able to build our students’ study skills from the ground up, resulting in higher test scores, better grades, and the ability to reach full academic potential.
Success Starts With Novella Prep
We are dedicated to providing our students with the highest quality academic support services that will show noticeable improvement in their academics. If you’re a parent or student interested in our study skills or college planning programs, follow these few steps to begin your path to successful learning.
- Sign up for a free academic consultation
- Following an initial consultation, we create a curriculum plan by subject and use ongoing diagnostics to ensure lessons are relevant and effective.
- We recommend weekly or biweekly sessions depending on the goals and what we determine to be most effective.
- Packages are flexible and without long term commitment. However, we suggest taking a longer term view of one of our Novella 6-10 Programs to ensure optimal academic success. Improving grades and test scores take time, and we ensure short term goals are met while planning for longer term improvements.
We are proud to offer our tutoring services in:
Contact Novella Prep today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about our tutoring programs!