The Best Colleges Require The Best Plan
A strong college application reflects years of mindful planning and thousands of little decisions that, when better informed and guided, reflects the most authentic version of your son or daughter. Our in person and online programming balances academic advising (which classes, how to get the best grades, what matters to colleges) with college planning (which tests, requirements for admission, visits, essay, financial aid, and the application). To get the best results, we have found that starting earlier allows for grade appropriate measures that build toward a well-organized and prepared high school senior.
Choose a Program:
We have two programs for 11th and 12th graders that run sequentially:
- The College Application Year program runs from January 1 through December 31 of a student’s 11th grade into fall of 12th. We focus on managing this task-filled and opportunity laden year while supporting student academic success starting with formal college planning, visits, and portfolio development through the application itself.
- The College Decision Year program runs from January 1 through May 1 of a student’s 12th grade to manage decisions, support with negotiating financial aid, followup visits with colleges, navigating possible waitlists, and ensuring all possible opportunities are identified and pursued.
Statement of ethics: We believe that the student is the face of the application and therefore stand behind the mindful decision to never contact colleges on behalf of the student. As members of NACAC and IACAC, professional organizations providing standards of best practices, we believe that through their hard work and our guidance, the student can earn and enjoy their own success!
Benefits of Novella Prep College Planning:
- Increases potential for most select, best-fitting college
- Optimal high school course selection for a strong foundation
- Vocation cultivation: Connecting career to college major
- Comprehensive preparation for college application
- Builds relationships with teachers and counselors
- Standardized test selection and preparation
- Knowing essential milestones at the right grade
When to Start College Planning
The sooner students and parents think about how the day to day decisions affect longer term academic outcomes, the better. By starting early, parents and students tend to have more freedom and flexibility to utilize the college planning process as one of growth and empowerment. We take cues from the student and family to identify when to integrate such opportunities into our study skills program with integrated early college advising, and ramp up formal college planning during our College Application Year program.
Based on external research as well as our own experience, we have achieved great results when we focus on the academic fundamentals through our Study Skills programming and then integrate college planning at key milestones and at a pace that works with a student’s mindset and readiness. Here is how our college planning integrates with Study Skills. Because our programming is tailored to the individual student, any student in one of our study skills programs will receive knowledge and information that will help them when they fully transition to the College Application Year Program and beyond. Start early, stress less.